Participants enrolled in workplace approved childcare first aid courses will learn a variety of different first aid and CPR topics. This page will outline the childcare first aid course content of a emergency and standard childcare first aid course. This page only offers a brief outline, a workplace approved instructor may instruct this material in a different format but must cover the following topics.
Registration for Childcare First Aid
To register for a workplace approved emergency or standard childcare first aid course in a location near you visit our location pages. Childcare first aid training providers are located throughout Canada including in Ottawa, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Kelowna, Vancouver and Surrey. Standard and emergency childcare first aid in Saskatoon is now also available.
workplace approved Childcare First Aid Course Outline:
- Legal implication and principles of first aid – 10 minutes
- Basic anatomy and physiology of the cardiopulmonary system – 5 minutes.
- Personal protective equipment and barrier devices – 8 minutes.
- Using bystanders and the emergency medical system (EMS) – 7 minutes.
- Unconscious patient assessment – 25 minutes.
- Use of and knowledge of automated external defibrillators (AED) – 15 minutes.
- One rescuer CPR for adult and child which includes obstructed airway rescues for conscious and unconscious adult and child patients – 3.5 hours.
- Conscious patient assessment – 25 minutes.
- Respiratory emergencies including anaphylaxis, aspiration, hyperventilation and asthma – 35 minutes.
- Circulatory emergencies including heart attacks, angina, T.I.A, stroke, deadly bleeding and shock. – 45 minutes.
- Facial injuries – 15 minutes.
- Burns including 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree burns – 15 minutes.
- Brief introduction to seizures, diabetic emergencies, bone and joint injuries, heat and cold injuries and poisonings – 30 minutes.
- Rescue scenarios and demonstrations – 30 minutes.
Length of First Aid and CPR Course
The total length of a emergency childcare first aid course is approximately 8 to 10 hours. Course length is dependant on candidate skill level, experience and knowledge. The course length is ultimately determined by the workplace approved first aid instructor. To learn about the above mentioned topics take a emergency or standard childcare first aid course through a St Mark James first aid and CPR provider.