Eczema is a condition of the skin which can happen anywhere in the body and affects any age group. A deep seated itching inside the ear caused by eczema is very uncomfortable. The inflammatory response of the skin can be caused by environmental factors and also internal, due to allergies on food and jewelry that contains nickel. Ear eczema in babies heals on its own, but eczema on adults can become persistent and it is important to know what causes the eczema and how to treat it.[youtube url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVRVnvlvUPA” width=”220″]
Symptoms of eczema in the ear
- The skin found around the ears becomes dry and dehydrated and there is fluid that oozes out from the eczematous site.
- The ear becomes red and there is intense itching and a constant urge to scratch.
- There is pain and swelling in the ears.
- The oozing from the skin becomes flaky and starts to form crusts.
- Eczema can happen either in the outer or in the inner canal of the ear that is accompanied be soreness.
Causes of eczema in the ear
- If any member of the family is suffering from eczema anywhere in the body, he/she is at high risk of developing eczema in the ear because it is a hereditary condition.
- Autoimmune issues where it senses the healthy body cells as damaging and attacks them by releasing chemicals that causes irritation, itching and inflammation.
- Contact allergy and food allergy can cause the development of eczema in the ears.
- Ear eczema can also be an allergy to nickel which is usually caused by ear piercings.
Treatment and home remedies of ear eczema
- Dryness of the ear causes irritation and making itching worse. Apply Vaseline in order to make it more moisturized. Coconut oil is also a good moisturizer especially when the eczema is inside the ear.
- Clean the ear with warm water before applying the moisturizer and if it inside the ear, use an ear bud cleaner and do it gently.
- Apply raw honey in order to make the skin well hydrated. It is also an antibacterial agent and prevents bacterial infection caused by constant scratching.
- Avoid exposure to dry air since it makes the skin drier and causing severe itching.
Other remedies for eczema in the ears
- Apply some Vitamin E oil to the ears since it helps in the healing of the skin and hydration. The application must be done at least several times a day for fast healing.
- Take 1,000 mg of Vitamin C capsule at least two to four times a day.
- Clean all surfaces on the house on a regular basis in order to minimize dust mites. If an individual is allergic to dust mites, he/she is susceptible to eczema.
- Avoid foods that can cause eczema such as dairy, soy and peanuts. It is recommended to eat foods rich in antioxidants such as fruits and vegetables in order to minimize inflammation and the allergic reactions.